From: "David Precious"

joseph harris wrote:
David, below is the diagnostic log - it has just happened again. I have sent the log by email out of the machine across the world and back to the other machine, which is on the same switch. The connection to the ISP itself is obviously working, but none of the browsers seem to hold their concentration! - Nor does IE diagnostic appear to know how OE does it... Don'cha just love M$.

It looks a lot like DNS problems, as I originally suspected. OE can still work as it's already resolved the hostname of your ISP's mail server, so it knows the IP already, and doesn't have to re-query the DNS server.

It would appear that you have the DNS server configured to be 192.168.1.1, which will be your gateway (the ADSL router) - that's probably configured for you by DHCP.

It might be worth forcing the DNS servers on the machine in question to use specific ones, perhaps the OpenDNS (www.opendns.org) servers.

Out of interest, do other machines on your network use the gateway as a DNS server too? Do they exhibit the same problems at the same time, or do they continue to be able to resolve names?

There's nice instructions at https://www.opendns.com/start to change the DNS settings.

Cheers

Dave P

Thanks,

That's looking good on the one machine. None of the others have the problem.

The browsers seemed to have the problem even if they had been repeatedly accessing a particular site! Ah... I'll never understand this. I should write more poetry.

If you can find your DNS and prosper
When others trip upon the IP step,
Yours is the web and all there is that's in it,
Including, alas, quite a lot of drek...

Joseph