At 08:42 PM 11/26/2009 -0500, James Y Knight wrote:
I move to bless mod_wsgi's definition of WSGI 1.1 [1] as the official definition of WSGI 1.1, which describes how to implement WSGI adapters for both Python 2.x and 3.x. It may not be perfect, but, it's been implemented twice, and seems ot have no fatal flaws (it doesn't do any lossy transforms, so any issues are irritations at worst). The basis for this definition is also described in the "WSGI 1.0 Ammendments" [2] page.

The definitions as they stand are clear enough to understand and implement, but not currently in spec-worthy language. (e.g. it says "should" and "may" in a colloquial fashion, but actually means MUST in some places and SHOULD in others, as defined by RFC 2119)

Thus, I'd like to suggest that Graham (if he's willing?) should reformat the "Definition"/"Ammendments" as an actual diff against the current PEP 333. Then, I will recommend adopting that document as an actual standard WSGI 1.1, to replace PEP 333.

I'm +1, with a few caveats. First, as you mention, it needs to be spec'd properly. In particular, it should be clarified that the main changes are to *allow byte strings* in certain places where WSGI 1.0 demands a unicode string w/latin-1 encoding.

Second, I do not think that the "additional guarantees/requirements" can be safely added to a 1.x version, as they make it impossible for an app to tell whether it's *really* running under 1.1 or under a broken piece of middleware that's passing through wsgi.version but not actually providing 1.1-level guarantees. I would therefore suggest that these additional guarantees and requirements be deferred to WSGI 2.0.