At 07:20 PM 7/16/2010 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
I'd much rather say be able to say:

"""
The PATH_INFO environment variable is a ``bytes-with-benefits`` type.
To decode it:

- First, split it on slashes::

    segments = PATH_INFO.split('/')

- Then, de-encode each segment's urlencoded portions:

    urldecoded_segments = [ urllib.unquote(x) for x in segments ]

- Then re-encode each urldecoded segment into the encoding expected
  by your application

    app_segments = [ str(x, encoding='utf-8') for x in
                     urldecoded_segments ]
"""

+1. I do wish we actually *had* a bytes-with-benefits type (as I proposed on Python-Dev), but I don't think we can really get one until the language moratorium is over. Plain old bytes are the next best thing.