Hi,

On 9/16/10 1:23 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
I find the order of the application return arguments really annoying,
could it just be status, headers, body? Mirrors the actual structure
of the request, which is easier to remember IMO.
The motivation is that you can pass that to constructors of response objects already in place.

response_tuple = response.get_response_tuple()
response = Response(*response_tuple)

The order "body", "status code", "headers" is what Werkzeug and WebOb are currently using. Django has (content, mimetype, status) as constructor but if they detect a list/dict on the third parameter they could assume that mimetype referes to the status thus they have a proper upgrade path.

Also, I would really like it if the header value returned by
applications must be checked for an .items() method so we can return
(o)dicts in addition to tuples.
That would be a nice to have, but makes the middleware logic harder because each middleware would have to check for the type.

I also keep thinking that some things (for example status) should just
be allowed to be text, but restricted to ascii.
Works for 2.x, but on 3.x that would mean each middleware would have to check the type before each operation and convert to bytes if necessary which means a lot of overhead for each middleware in the stack.

Regards,
Armin