And while on a database migration topic, I would also very much
welcome some index functionality. The easiest way to implement that in
a backwards compatible way would probably to have an additional
attribute in the sqlfield statement. Example:

SQLField('name','string',index=True,indexlength=5)

I understand there are some difficulties like different databases
handling and displaying indexes differently, but it would be really
good even if only active on initial table creation (in that case we
would just print an 'unsupported' warning to the user if he tries to
do this via alter style migration).