I really like your idea although there are some of the implemetation
issues too specific. I modified it slightly and this is what I have in
trunk:

>>> a=DIV('hello',DIV('world',_id='test'))
>>> print a.element(_id='test',_class=None).update(_class='junk').xml()

any helper, including a SQLFORM now has a element(....) method that
can be used to search the first matching element.
any helper also has an update(...) method that can be used to update
the attributes and returns self.

This is not equivalent to your patch but it will make your simpler.

Hope it is acceptable.

Massimo