I see.  FastCGI "servers" need a socket or pipe to transfer data to/from
the webserver.  In the case of *nix (mostly) they use a pipes or unix
domain sockets (as opposed to TCP sockets).  In the case you mentioned,
an fcgiserver was set up on a TCP socket.  My bad.  But for your
(Apache) purposes, don't worry about this, you're using pipes (probably).

2) Use SSH to tunnel port 80 on your server to a local port (81 for
example.  Then connect to localhost:81/admin/default/site and it should
be your admin interface.

Routes aren't the end of the world, but if you're already using Apache
and rewrite, use that instead of routes.  It's faster.

-tim