> -  do you have a test web2py on webfaction using this now?  how's it
> working?  do you have a link to share?

yes, and it appears to be working fine; you are welcome to click on
the following link, though it is currently just the standard welcome/
examples; (right now I'm trying to get cgit ('fast' public server for
git) for the site set up so haven't gone further than to determine
that I could create new apps, etc.)

The Field of Streams --:  http://thefieldofstreams.net ;
administration: http://admin.thefieldofstreams.net

> -  can you say more about issue w/ static file handling (I don't see
> the issue just looking at the setup, so wondering what it is)

You're right. I even started to mention that in my post. Webfaction
practice is to serve static files via one of their servers, for which
you create an 'application' via webfaction's control panel. I've set
it up before in conjunction with Django-based sites but haven't yet
done so yet with web2py. My plan is to do so within the next couple of
days, and I'll be happy to document the process.