On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:

> It should not be too difficult to support this in web2py
>
> What about the syntax:
>
> db.define_view('myview',db.Field('col1'),db.Field('col2'),select=db
> (...)._select(....))

To implement the view - db.define_view('myview'.....   part sounds good.

Do you mean the select=db(xxxx)._select()  to be the mapping?   e.g. from
 db.nativedb()...

How will you define the actual foreign table / type info?  just give
db.nativedb.field.... and assume it exists, and matches the type of (for
example) db.Field('col1')?

If so  I think this syntax is error prone --- I think a dict might be the
way to do it:

db.VIEWField({'id':'foreign_table_id'}),  and so on...  if not a dict, then
assume same name; always assume same type;
have same syntax as for db.Field, with the exception that the name can be a
dict (???)... also you MUST be able to map DAL 'id' this way --- that, after
all, has been the biggest complaint, whole point (_I_ have an application
for this).

There are some important points that could be useful even for web2py (not
just legacy uses):

   - must be able to handle .... SELECT  foo as bar ....  (that is, field
   re-mapping -- that's one motivation for VIEWS);
   - must be able to present several tables "as if" one (another important
   application of a view),

e.g.  --- select db.person.name as name, db.payment.amount as payment where
db.payment.person_id = db.person.id

The third (as I can see) motivation for views is to keep a select "in
memory" for a session, for performance... keeping s select in memory...

I think we want to cover these two bullet points.

I think that second bullet generally might be difficult.  We need to think
about how to do this so it's useful, and limit it so it's not too
complicated.

My thoughts for now...

Yarko

> and access it as a table db.myview as a normal table.
> A view would be a special table that does not have an "id" field and
> does not support insert.

Correction:   DOES / MUST HAVE AN ID field, but it is NOT default - it must
be mapped.

I think if you add this constraint that the first view field defined MUST be
'id' -- and may or may not be mapped - then EVERYTHING in web2py will work
on this.

Hmm.... Or if there is _really_ reason to say "there is no primary key
field" .... (really????) then at least require something like {'id':None}
--- but then everything in gluon (and everywhere) would need to be changed
to handle id=None...

I'm not convinced this is useful --- so I suggest require a 'id' field, so
that everything in web2py just works.... then lets see if there's a REAL
situation where there is no primary key (or at least unique key in a table
that can be used _as_ 'id') ....  and deal with it when it somes up....

Yarko.