On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM, DenesL <denes1...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> *snip*
>

> tables MUST be in the same db, let alone server, e.g. you can not do:
> dbX.define_table('dog',SQLField('name'),SQLField('owner',dbY.person))
> but this restriction can be worked on independently of views;
> this also seems to suggest a need for a dictionary of DBs.

Absolutely not - You are simply mistaken.

At work I setup a view to show a "user" table in MS-SQL server from other db
(even other db server is possible w/ that)  so that there's only one login
accross instances of an issue tracking system.

I'm not sure how other servers are about allowing this accross servers, but
accross db's this should be pretty standard SQL stuff.  And I know for a
fact it is exactly that on MSSQL, which is why I thought of it to begin
with.

> > Perhaps if the db URI were parsed and shown to be the same target (eg.
> > server) but not necessarily the same user (perhaps we are a read-only
> user
> > on a legacy db, but owner on the extension we will create)...
> >
> > This needs more thought I think...
> >
> > It is interesting, potentially useful, and raises some interesting
> > questions.
> >
> > Massimo - if the "SQL SELECT" is what is stored in a view, how difficult
> > (for the moment ignoring performance) do you think it would be to
> implement
> > VIEWS in DAL?
> >
> > If we had cross-server views, this really would be something to offer
> that
> > general DB's could not so easily provide.
>
> add cross-db to that

That is already pretty standard.

I'm not sure what it would take (I think a driver) to connect, say, a MSSQL
server db in a view to a (let's say) Oracle db.   Actually, I believe this
is possible (you just need something that MSSQL knows how to talk accross).

- Yarko