Hey,

I want to call a function that I defined in the Controller from javascript
via AJAX. When the function returns a string everything is perfect, but
when it returns
a dict, I get always this error:

*404 - NOT FOUND
web2py_error:invalid view (default/getValuesFromFile.html)*

My code looks like this:

jQuery("#tabs").bind("tabsselect", function(e, tab) {
         url = "{{=URL('default', 'indexToSession')}}";
         $.ajax({                 //send current index to server
          type: "POST",
          url: url,
          data: { currentTabIndex: tab.index}
        }).done(function( msg) {
            alert(msg);      // this works, as indexToSession only returns
a string
            url = "{{=URL('default', 'getValuesFromFile')}}";
            $.ajax({                 //get Data to plot
              type: "POST",
              url: url
            }).done(function( data) {
                alert(data['names']; // this doesn't work
            });
        });
});

And my controller looks like this:

def getValuesFromFile():

[...]

return dict(title = title, names = name)

def indexToSession():

session.tabindex = int(request.vars.currentTabIndex)

return session.tabindex

I don't get the point why it is not working with dict's. I have tried it
also with the jQuery- Method $.getJSON( ...) and $.get(...) but nothing
worked.

Can someone give me a hint, why this is not working.

Would be great!