Well, there is the Python equivalent to GWT called Pyjamas (now renamed
pyjs).  It has been used with web2py successfully.  There's even a "how to"
document in the old FAQ section of the web2py.com site (also referenced on
the pyjs site).

The essential problem with using GWT is that *most* GWT apps use Google's
homemade RPC to communicate between the browser and the server.  That RPC
is not supported on web2py.  You could still use XMLRPC or JSONRPC but you
have to make that choice explicitly in your GWT app.  (I'm no GWT expert so
this is about as deep as I go.)

Joe B.