I was just wondering if there is any reason for the difference between
some HTML helpers used by web2py. Specifically, there is a value=""
and a _value="" argument used by some HTML helpers. I feel this very
confusing, and while I understand the use, I very-much feel it should
be changed to something else (i.e. default_value="" or _default="")

I.e.

SELECT() uses value="" and _value="". I really feel value="" needs to
be changed to something like selected_value="". This is mainly because
it makes for a false impression to use _value when in reality you are
generating a selected="yes" line. For the SELECT() function this is
especially confusing.

Just my 2 cents.