There is a rule. helpers attributes that start with _ are converted
blindly into html tag attributes

DIV(_class="hello") : <div class="hello"></div>

INPUT(_value="hello") : <input value="hello"/>

helpers attributes that start without underscore (only value,
requires) have special meaning. "value" sets the value of the variable
associate to an INPUT field.

We cannot change names for backward compatibility and it is not
obvious to me that using names that do not follow a rule are easier to
remember.

Anyway, I suggest you use

from gluon.sqlhtml import *
form=form_factory(SQLField('varname',default='yourdefault'))

which makes life easier.

Massimo