Cliff

In my table definition I use db.table_name just as in your example.  And in
my controller I have a mixture of both, some where I specify the linked
tables and some where I just let smartgrid figure it out.  Here is a sample
model:

benefitProgram = db.define_table('benefitProgram',
 Field('benefitProgramId', 'id', readable=False),
 Field('name', length=50, required=True, unique=True),
 format='%(name)s')
db.benefitProgram.name.requires = [IS_NOT_EMPTY(), IS_NOT_IN_DB(db, db.
benefitProgram.name)]
db.benefitProgram._plural = 'Benefit Programs'

benefitLevel = db.define_table('benefitLevel',
 Field('benefitLevelId', 'id', readable=False),
 Field('benefitProgramId', db.benefitProgram, required=True, label='Benefit
Program'),
 Field('name', length=50, required=True),
 format='%(name)s')
db.benefitLevel.benefitProgramId.requires = IS_IN_DB(db, db.benefitProgram.
benefitProgramId, '%(name)s', zero='..')
db.benefitLevel.name.requires = IS_NOT_EMPTY()
db.benefitLevel._plural = 'Benefit Levels'

This works fine generating the smartgrid with links.

-Jim