The problem is that it cannot assign the default validator unless the table
is defined. You can do

db.define_table('t_project',
    Field('f_name', type='string',
          label=T('Name')),
    Field('f_parent_project', type='reference t_project',
          label=T('Parent Project')),
    format='%(f_name)s',
    migrate=settings.migrate)

db.t_project.f_name.requires =
IS_EMPTY_OR(IS_IN_DB(db,'t_project.id',format=db.t_project._format))

The last line will restore the dropdown.