If you app is called "yourapp" and you put this file in

applications/yourapp/views/default/kml.html

you also need to edit

applications/yourapp/controllers/default.py

and add an action

def kml():
     placemarks=db(...).select(....) ## fill the ...
     return dict(placemarks=placemarks)

then you visit

http://127.0.0.1:8000/yourapp/default/kml

this calls the action, the action calls the view file.

Hope this helps. I am not sure I understood the question.

Massimo