We are considering using web2py because it offers strong access control and
user session management.

Our first application is not database-heavy and so db issues are not an
issue.  Performance is important but should be fine with Nginx:

a. Why isn't Nginx configuration included in the web2py book?  Lighttpd is
included but their code hasn't been updated in nearly two years.

For our 2nd application, performance is important:

b. Is gevent supported in web2py with monkey-patching?  If so, is there a
reference to it?
c. Is it possible to turn off the things that make web2py slower eg.
session management, db etc. to provide a 'raw' web2py (+ gevent + nginx)
whose only purpose is to take http requests and return data ie. no session
management, access control or db access?