I have the following simple code, which is meant to let a user do a new
submission, or update a submission if one exists:

    sub = db(db.submission.author == auth.user_id).select().first()
    form = crud.update(db,
        record=sub,
        deletable=True,
        next=URL('default', 'index'),
        )
    return dict(form=form)

sub is None, initially, as there is no submission, and so the crud (I am
hoping) should behave like a create.
Instead, I get a 404 NOT FOUND.  Is this normal?  What's the proper way of
doing this?

It's  a bit bizarre also to get a page that says 404 NOT FOUND, rather than
having my browser report 404 because it is not finding a page.
It's like getting a letter in the mail that says, today you got no mail!
:-)

Thanks for all the help,

Luca