And in that regard, on a more general sense, I think web2py could use a
notion of dev-vs-production modes. I know many people would implement
things differently, but I think that if this be a core functionality,
different modules could be used for different modes.

What we ended up doing, is qualifying the system's compute-name against a
list of de-machine-names in the db model, for the same code to be usable in
both dev and production machines. We use it for stuff like
external-module-reloading on each request, which is essential for
on-the-fly development. It's a retro-fit we should not have had to deal
with, imho. We would have much rathered have web2py itself forcing a reload
on any of our custom modules each time they changed, by (for example)
deleting the .pyc files based on date-modified file-attributes or something
of that sort. That can be easily be done as some kind of script-job that
runs and checks a list of module files in a given folder for date-modifications
and .pyc files existence, but only have it done in dev-mode. I think that
static-assets should relate to that as well, but only in the context of
dev-mode, which should exist anyway.