You cannot do what you ask because it not logically possible. There is no
web2py global state. There is only a state per request for the duration of
an http request.

When you open shell you are in a "simulated" http request which does not
require the server to be on. It is mostly used to programmatically interact
with the db.

Imagine your web server being hit by many requests at the same time. How
would you select from the shell which one to interact with? Moreover each
request lasts ~5ms.

Massimo