@Paolo, I don't see dist-upgrade anymore you should have a wrong version
look at the drop box of Simone Niphold :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7chteos9sh6p2h/setup-web2py-nginx-uwsgi-ubuntu.sh

@Arnon, I don't know bitnami I heard about, but didn't have a look, but I
guest it will not works because ubuntu nginx package doesn'st include
passenger module support, so we have to compile nginx because it is not
modular as apache. Actually I found a PPA, but I am not sure if it will be
maintained for a wild, so I use a script include in ruby to automated the
configuration, compilation and installation of an appropriate version of
nginx... I am in the process of writing a tutorial about that. I will
inform the list here when it done and publish. Notice, someone could just
use FastCGI instead of uWSGI and Phussion Passenger in tamdem to serve the
web2py apps and Redmine together with Nginx, but I prefer using uWSGI.
Also, recently Phussion project report to be polyglot and say that
Passenger can handle both WSGI (Python) and Ruby at the same time, but I
don't know if it could work with uWSGI... Anyway. As soon as I get my
tutorial ready, I get back here.

@Simone, an other improvement to the script could be to combine into a
single server the 80, and 443 to avoid duplicating configuration, as stated
here :
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuring_https_servers.html#single_http_https_server
I don't had test this.

Also, here the code for permanent redirection
server {
  server_name $hostname;
  listen              80;
  return 301 http*s*://$hostname$request_uri; # NOTE: I am not sure for
$hostname here, because I didn't set hostname for my VM until now, as in
the example (URL below) we can use domainName.com instead if properly
configure in nginx
}

In accordance with the pitfalls page suggested best practice :
http://wiki.nginx.org/Pitfalls#Taxing_Rewrites

Richard