See http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/06#Migrations:

The value of migrate is the filename (in the "databases" folder for the
application) where web2py stores internal migration information for this
table. These files are very important and should never be removed except
when the entire database is dropped. In this case, the ".table" files have
to be removed manually.

Anthony