I am deploying on VMs that are relatively easy to clone, so I opted for
separate servers for redmine and web2py, for performance and security. I
obviously also separated the database to be on its own server. Since it's
all VMs on the same physical machine, the virtual-network is really fast,
and since every VM uses its own set of hard-drive space, its own memory
space, and its own CPU core, they can all run concurrently, even in single
threaded cases. Security comes from each only having the services they each
require and nothing more (so no python in the redmine or postgres servers,
no ruby on the web2py or postgres servers, etc.)

As for old-version of web2py, I am actually not kidding.
We have a web2py application that we've been working on for 3 years now,
and moving that to the new web2py version revealed itself to be non-trivial.
Backward compatibility is apparently not as well adhered to as we would
expect. I am all for going for the latest and greatest, but we have a
schedule to keep in development, and upgrading web2py is not too much a
priority now... Unless it provides measurable performance benefits, which
it doesn't in our case, from what I briefly tested.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Richard Vézina <ml.richard.vez...@gmail.com