Sorry, I cannot reproduce your issue.

Putting dbg.set_trace() blocks your app until your open the debbuger
interaction page:

http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/debug/interact

As soon as I open it, I can continue and debug it properly.
If I don't open it, the page being debugged is blocked, but other
pages could be opened (including admin).

What webserver are you using?
How is it configured?

You need to be runing a multithreaded webserver (with only one
process) to use the embeed debugger.

(I checked the mercurial trunk)

Best regards,

Mariano Reingart