The documentation needs to be fixed. There are two different "everybody".

In Wiki if you set manage_permissions=True you can use a group "everybody"
to set permissions on wiki pages. This group is not really created but just
a dummy. It tells the wiki the page can be accessed by everybody.

In Auth there is the concept of an "everybody" group but auth does not
create it for you. You can do:

g = db.auth_group(role='all people'):
if g:
    gid = db.auth_group.insert(role='all people')
else:
    gid = g.id
auth.settings.everybody_group_id = gid

Notice that in this case the role/name is irrelevant and, in fact, I used
"all people" instead of everybody.