Update (and fix):

We found that it connects to the mail server, but then disconnects with 0
messages sent.

After running web2py in such a way that it would tell me what's going on
(this install normally runs as a windows service with no console):

>>anyserver.py -s rocket -p 8000 - l

At which point I saw warnings:
web2py.Mail.send failure:STARTTLS extension not supported by server.

I fixed this by looking at the code and figuring that setting

mail.settings.tls = False

would disable TLS, which worked.

---

I don't actually know if this warning message spat out to the console only
because I switched on the -l option calling anyserver.py, or whether this
normally gets churned out from web2py to the console.
In fact, can anyone tell me how I get a web2py installation running as a
service to print messages to a console window?