for future references ..... if you run web2py by
web2py.py -a yourpassword -D 0
the logging should be set to maximum possible level.

See if the error message is returned to the console..... in case the debug
info is not printed, you may want to adjust logging.conf to set the root,
web2py and the console handler to DEBUG (change lines "level=WARNING" to
"level=DEBUG" accordingly)