Yes it is a patch issue. three solutions

1) if you want jsonpicker in your app you need to edit the import
statements, including import simplejson

2) if you run from source, simply install jsonpickler in site-packages
and use it normally

3) you can install it under gluon/contrib and it will be available to
all your apps and will see simplejson.