Thanks for all the interesting responses.

Here is Apple's description of the Push notificaiton process:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/RemoteNotificationsPG/ApplePushService/ApplePushService.html

There appears to be a similar framework for Android:
    http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/index.html

To clarify, this process uses a "Device Token" which is generated per
app/iPhone . The UDID is not shared with the notification provider (ie the
web2py app).
This process is not designed as an alternative to authentication. I am
looking at OAuth in addition to Push notifications. Push notifications It
is merely to notify the user of status changes with the application.

Fortunately my potential requirement will only involve authenticated users
receiving notifications. I would be guessing that the Device token would be
attached to the session data and/or to the auth_event table.
Presumably, users can be simultaneously logged in on iOS and Android
devices and would expect to receive the correct notifications for their
respective devices.

At this point I have done very little research into this, but I wanted to
start discussing these schemes with other developers who are encounter
similar needs.