for our system we have "anonymous" users (users with no email address), and
"known" users (users with an email address.

Apple does not expose the MAC address, the IMEI or the apple UDID of iOS
devices to developers.  their policies strictly forbid the use of hardware
identifiers in apps distributed via the app store.

Apple also strongly suggests that you verify all in-app-purchases from your
server to prevent theft (and it's worth it, i see lots of attempted theft)

so, given that our business wants users to be able to use 95% of the apps
features without "creating an account" (sharing your email/password and
some other info we ask for), and we use apple's receipt verification to
check for fraudulent purchases, both the client and the server have to know
about a particular application install.  that gets us to where i am at
today:
 - app launches and gets an OAuth token from the server (creates an
end_user record on the server) (this OAuth token essentially becomes an
application installation identifier)
 - app stores data about the user
 - server stores data about the user
 - later user may "login" which may be logging in to an existing account
they made on another device (cause lots of apple device users have multiple
devices) or a new user.  in the login case we merge the activity of the
user from before login.

now if the business would allow us to require login before the user started
the app, problem is solved.....but we would lose 50-70% of our new users
daily.