Thanks. Sorry about the delay in response.
In answer to your question, the  .load function does not get called, that
is, the body of the function(response) does not appear to get called. I
tried just the line:
$('#scan_info_previous').hide;  and the div element with that ID does not
become hidden.
The 'action' is called OK though, and the db update in that action
('add_new_scan') does take place.

In answer to your point about using the nice web2py facilities, I feel that
I had to avoid these in places, as I have a recursive function to generate
a dynamic form which has divs within divs (so that I can have
collapsing/expanding form elements depending on the value of their parent
input elements).
If you can show me a way to use the web2py facilities, I would prefer this.

Regards, Ann