Hi
No it would appear that the $.post is not fired. I replaced the code with

$form.submit(function(){
      alert("Hello - the form.submit ran");
      $.post($(this).attr('action'), $(this).serialize(),
function(response){
          alert("Hello - the post ran");
      },'json');

      return false;
   });

and the 'Hello - the form.submit ran' alert appears, but the other alert
'Hello - the post ran' does not.

I thought the action had run, as I had achieved one of my goals which was
to stay on the same page after the submit.
...but it must have just fired the action from the form declaration:
<form id="scaninstance_form" action="{{=URL('add_new_scan')}}"
method="post">

I'm not familiar with using console.log()

Ann