> Anthony, I did try with URL('profile', 'index') but got some looping
> error which Firefox picked up…

I tried a bare new app with Version
2.4.1-alpha.2+timestamp.2013.02.22.10.18.20

Added this line below the default auth.settings section in db.py

auth.settings.login_next = URL("blah")

This is the url as shown in the browser address bar when you open the
default login action:

http://localhost:8000/newapp/default/user/login?_next=/newapp/default/index

I did not use navbar, unless it is enabled by default. I think that  the
_next parameter should be the specified with .login_next