depends on what you ask for the kind of functionality you need. Generally
smartgrid is smart, but can't figure out all the business logic required by
your (and everyones) app.
are you in the need of a wrapper to see what table/form is shown ?
Just write a general one and apply it instead of repeating the "ugly" code.

Something that allows you to write
if is_form('new', 'classes', 'classes.subject_id'):
      db.classes.class_name.default = get_class_name()

is not hard to build.