Perhaps it is already open by another process?

I'm not a major linux user (yet) but in windows only one process can open
the serial port at a time.  Perhaps
"Permission denied" is the same as "In use".

Also make sure you close it when, if your application doesn't terminate, as
web2py doesn't, depending where
and how you opened it.