First thing I'd do in this case is compile the app, then test again. ;)
Don't try other things before compiling.

Next thing I'd do is look into caching, it's usually very much worth it.
Depends on your app, though.

What db are you using? How is the connection pooling set now? You can find
out what db indexes are on google, that would be good thing to look into,
if not for this one, then for your next project.