> However why call nssm the "best" way to do this but still ship the
> winservice.py file?

Because things gets discussed and possibly overlooked.
There are a few open issues with the way web2py handles services and
absolutely no-one willing to take "responsibility" to test it more than the
current "once on a while". A full coverage in fact has never been tested
(and probably never worked). That being said, sometimes it works without
hiccups. The "batteries included" predicament stands as long as your
implementation works, all the times.
A very few users are using it (or a very few users just needed once and
forgot it), and when this pops up once in a while, a patch is threw in and
then the user disappears.
The moment he needs to update web2py and finds that his previous patch
didn't really solve the problem, there's another iteration on the matter.

> If nssm was truly *the* way to do this then I would think the book (which
> was just updated) would have removed the section about the winservice.py
> and only talk about nssm or at least make an effort to promote nssm over
> the native script.

I would have done it and proposed in the past, but I'm not the boss and
usually there are a few POVs to consider.

> This doesn't make a whole lot of sense from the standpoint of having
> "everything" in the box with web2py.

On the other end, doesn't make real sense to continue supporting something
that is clearly not tested and with a very little userbase (but with a lot
of people complaining for it the moment they realize they fall into the
"sometime doesn't" category).

> As far as support goes, Massimo is intent on supporting ie 7 for web2py's
> editor because some people still use it. So supporting new/different
> versions of windows is already being done not to mention the method for
> setting up a system service has hardly changed since XP (12+years)

same as before. My POV is more or less "if you have only IE7 as a browser,
use notepad"  given that IE7 is currently being replaced in enterprises too
(and is very well below the 5% on the "browser's share").
In any case, it's one thing to make a web page compatible with
IE6(7,8,9,10) and is another making web2py hooking up into
XP,Vista,Seven,8,2003,2008 (32 and 64 bits) service managers, with all the
options working ok, with source and binary distributions, for python2.5,
2.6, 2.7 (someone with pypy necessities could come up as well) and have a
proof of it (i.e. not saying "this should work" but "this works").
If you want it the way it is, i.e. "sometime works, sometime doesn't", by
all means continue to use it and send a patch every time it breaks, but
please take into consideration that ditching it and using nssm will save
you, angry users and developers a lot of headaches.