I'm slightly confused on how to make a calculation and then update a SQL
field after a form is validated.

What I'm trying to do is this:
http://www.screencast.com/users/Mike_Extentech/folders/Jing/media/70a2511b-f978-458b-8d4c-9a635b191a33

Essentially, the end_date field is dependent on the data inputed into the
other two fields, start_date and length. So once the form is validated, a
calculation is triggered then the data is inserted into the database for
the end_date field.

Does that make sense?

I'm also using the SQLFORM.grid default view for adding records.

Thanks!