Thanks for the responses, a number of useful pointers there.

I have had a look at the sqlhtml.py and html.py to see if I can adapt one
of these to effectively produce a json version of a form which can be
validated when it is submitted. I came to the conclusion that I didn't
understand enough of what was going on in these to adapt them. Also, I
don't need a lot of the stuff done in these. So maybe I should create my
own methods

I have narrowed down the functionality I want to the following:
- CSRF and double submit prevention.
- prevent changes to records changed since form download
- Validation of the fields, followed by an insert, update, or delete. Or
return of field specific errors if validation fails.

I can see how the CSRF and double submit is prevented, and preventing the
update of a record that has changed. However, I have not found where the
methods web2py uses to validate each field and generate select lists etc.
Can anyone point me to where these are so I can re-use these?

I would like to be able to send an array of multiple records to the client
along with some basic model information such as data types and selection
items, then the client would allow the editing of any of the items using a
generic form and then submit data for all modified, deleted, or new items.

I might take another look at the plugin_clientapi, but that looks to me
like it is aimed at using web2py just as as a database backend. I would
like to keep the control within web2py but use angular to keep the client
side code more concise.