> I might take another look at the plugin_clientapi, but that looks to me
like it is aimed at using web2py just as as a database backend.

Allow me completely disagree with that. plugin_clientapi handles creation
and validation of forms (via the web2py api obviously), access control and
authentication in the background asynchronously. It's api controller could
be easily extended for allowing bulk insert/updates with client methods. It
doesn't implement them because no one has asked for it as enhancement.

> I would like to keep the control within web2py but use angular to keep
the client side code more concise.

AFAIK, that means adding custom code to AngularJS instead of reusing web2py
code, unless we wait for a web2py adapter by the AngularJS team (just
kidding).