Well, there is no "one-size-fit's-all", and there is never gonna be...

Currently, expecting a direct-connection with the database from the client
side, still raises many eye-brows, and (IMHO) rightfully so...
But that is exactly the expectation that frameworks like meteor are having.
Iy is not going to work in the foreseeable future, for many web-apps to
hold their entire database on the client side... There are way too many
things to consider when wanting to do that (security, privacy,
authorization, resource-use, etc.).
I also thing it's a mistake to assume the client-side even "needs" that,
for most cases.
As I said, the data-model that the client needs, is almost "always" very
different to the data-model in the database. For simple and small
web-sites, that may work out, but once you get pass a certain level of
complexity, and have hundreds of inter-linking tables, then in most of
these cases it would make no sense having an identical data model in the
client - it would be horobly wastefull and inefficient to the point of
being unusable.

Also, the client-side is still very lacking in terms of options
of handling and handling relational data-models. Web2py's DAL is a god-sent
- it is an ORM that is second-to-none afaik.

In short, it would fit a very, well, (ahm..) "boring" target-audience...
(no offence...)
Not for complex web-apps.

I think you could achieve all the benefits of meteor/derby with a
hybrid-solution.
Generally, there is no problem with the idea of auto-synching data-models
across clients - it is actually a very exciting prospect - it should just
not be assumed to be applicable for the whole database, is an
"all-or-nothing" kind of way.
I see a better vision - a web-app that has compartmentalized views, each
within it's own little MVC world, and it's own data-model which represent a
small portion of the database, structured specifically for that view's
needs. Each of these components can have streaming communication with other
instances of that save view in other browsers of other users, as well as
with n instance of that same data-model on a server somewhere, which will
take care of eventual-consistency in the background with the back-end
database.
I predict that this would be the model that would emergent to be
the dominant one - you already see glimpses of it - Google Wave was an
example - even long before web-sockets and data-store on the client. The
entire google-gear architecture was an attempt at making something like
this.