Well, as for the database, there are obvious security issues and
performance issues - I mean, having an open connection from all clients to
a single back-end database is a pretty nutty prospect for most serious
programmers...
Just think about connection-count,you can't even do connection pooling on
this... You basically need to have an extremely wide eventually-consistent
replication-cluster in the cloud, with like thousands of instances...
That's horribly inefficient. And in terms of security? Lot's of people are
still reluctant to trust the browser for even simple things like
client-side validation, you think that an open-connection to a back-end
database is gonna fly with these kind of folks?

And as for No-SQL vs RDBM, well, again, it is a question of
target-audience - it depends on the level of complexity of inter-relation
in your use-case's data model, so as I said - complex data-model benefit
way too much from RDBMs and gain so little from No-SQL that it is simply
un-fit for them... But that's a different topic altogether.

As for real-time synchronization, again, it may be implemented really well
in derby/meteor today, but I forsee that there are going to be many such
implementations for general use-cases.
I think there is an extension/version of web-sockets that is aimed at p2p,
so you can basically do it without any server at all, eventually.

As for no-refresh updates of the web-browser, it has nothing to do with
meteor/derby or even any kind of real-time app - it is a browser-extension,
coupled with a client/server library, that monitors your file-savings of
your code, and pushes updates to your development browser. There are many
such solutions today for many kinds of browsers and serves - it was just
easy to implement in node.js because it's all javascript on both ends...
There is nothing fundamentally restricting from doing this with web2py -
you can run an instance of node.js that basically only does "that" for you,
and still use web2py for all other stuff... It can even be implemented
inside web2py itself, with like a worker-thread or something... You can
even write something like this yourself - basically poll on file-changes of
your javascript code, and stream them over an open web-socket, and parse
them on your clien-side code to update your existing page...
In the p2p-web-socket future world, people could theoretically do crazy
stuff with that between each-other... :) Pretty diabolical shit...