So far deploying web2py has been absolutely miserable.  I've given up
completely on trying to get pythonanywhere working. I went back to trying
to use google app engine.  I signed up for their google apps account. (It
seems very silly that I now have a google gmail account, a google app
engine account, and a google apps account just to get 1 site running).

I now have 3 things:

1. www.myapp.appspot.com  (the new site I want to use)
2. www.thecurrent.com  (the site on hostmonster I want to replace)
3. A google apps standard account, which I'm still not sure what purpose it
actually serves

I want to take the domain name www.thecurrentsite.com and use it for
www.myapp.appspot.com.  I've followed the google instructions to add the
domain 'thecurrentsite.com' to my google app account and verify I own the
domain.
In the hostmonster dns settings I now have a cname alias for www listed as
ghs.googlehosted.com.  There is a TXT record for googles site verification,
and google app has verified I own the domain.
In the google app dashboard I have added the domain, accepted the terms and
agreement, and can see the www.currentsite.com listed.
In google app engine I have gone to the dashboard and added the domain for
thecurrentsite.com.  This doesn't seem to have actually done anything, and
I can't find anywhere in google app engine that lists this domain or
anything else I have added.

This is where the instructions leave off.  Everything seems to be setup
correctly according to the instructions, but nothing has actually changed.
I can still see the new site at www.myapp.appspot.com, but going to
www.thecurrentsite.com still goes to the old site I need to replace.

Looking through the hostmonster dns menu's I see a zone file record where
the host points to an IP address which I assume is for the old site.  I
think I need to change this to whatever the ip address is of google app
engine, or maybe google app?  There is no mention of this setting in any of
the google instructions and I'm not sure how I would find whatever the new
IP address should be.  I could be wrong, and maybe I shouldn't touch this
setting at all but I am completely out of ideas.

Has anyone had any success using a custom domain on google app engine?