Hello,

I did some research about SQLFORM.grid() Search Question and I summarize
what I found here :

Search requirements for me to use SQLFROM.grid() in place of Datatables.net
:

   1. Need to be able to search the representation for referenced fields *
   (Solved)*
   2. No database field name in the Query Builder...
      - I would like the labels to be used in the Query Builder and then be
      translated into the proper query passed to the URL *(Open, a solution
      seems to exist)*
      3. User should have the option to search over all the fields (like
   Datatables.net search/filter)* (Open, a solution seems to exist)*

*1)* I was searching a way to search representation of a referenced field
and I found this answer (from Niphold) :

How to search referenced field (query with join) :
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/Z4HZNNLlyYs/lknATE2iKJoJ

*2)* But then, I realize that for the construction of the search the user
has to know the database fields names (the labels are not taking into
account by the query builder) in order to create his search...

I try to solve that with SQLFROM.grid headers=HEADERS_DICT, but still the
query constructor display the database field name and not there labels...

About that issue, I found this thread that seem to address the problem into
a elegant way :

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/web2py/JVDZtZCsRTw

So, the solution seems to exist, but I would have to implement my own or
reuse this one... Did this had been (could be) added built-in in
SQLFORM.grid()??

*3)* I would like to preserve something I consider as a "feature". Actually
I use Datatables.net almost every where I need a grid, and my users know
how use the search/filter of Datatables, so I would have this option into
SQLFORM.grid()...

I found this share :
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/9_1ECdKHKUo/8OISg7o8OVIJ

Again, I have to test and see how it fit beside the query builder... Having
to different input search may be weird for user or lead to misunderstanding.

Is there other important things I should know about SQLFORM.grid() and
search?

What the future for a better search experience with SQLFORM.grid()?

I think the greatest advantage of SQLFORM.grid() over other Javascript grid
for instance is the ability to create a search and share it to other user
as a link... Of course there is also the possibility to create more
complexe query than a simple filter box. And I want these features in my
app.

Richard

Other thread :

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/web2py/hKe6lI25Bv4