Yes, completely different.

Virtual fields/methods are defined at row level and receives row as
argument. @make_member_of() defines a method at table level.

For references, see this slide:
http://effectivedjango.com/slides/tutorial/models.html#5
And this documentation:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/db/managers/

TL;DR version: managers are functions that make common queries in a
table, avoiding code repetition throughout an application.

--
Vinicius Assef