globals()<http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html?highlight=globals#globals>is
 a Python built-in function that returns a dictionary of objects in the
current global environment. You can use it to check whether a particular
object name exists in the current environment to avoid generating an
exception by referencing a name that doesn't exist. The .get() method can
be used with any dictionary -- the first argument is the key you want to
retrieve from the dictionary, and the second is a default value to return
in case the key does not exist.

Anthony