I have an unrelated (on web2py's side) website that uses captchas from
google and bots are successfully registering to it (of course, they need to
be approved first but it's a PITA to remove them anyway).
There are captcha services that decode the images for you (and your bot).

I'm working on a threaded comments plugin on my spare time and for spam
prevention I just add some hidden fields that needs javascript to be
filled. Given that bots running javascript code are a little percentage,
this should mitigate the issue (at least, a similar technique on the
aforementioned site is keeping spambots away).
Small problem, though, users with javascript disabled are left alone. If
that is fine, I can share the draft code (was waiting to complete the
plugin before posting to github and here, but if needed that's not a big
deal)