I started to get bot spam.  So I introduced the non-displayed honeypot
field that the bots would complete.  This worked great at first,  but the
bots seemed to learn the trick and started leaving it empty.  So the spam
returned.

After a little research,  I decided that I liked those questions that
humans can easily answer,  but bots cannot.

Only problem with the questions is that there can be several 'right'
answers eg. zero, 0, none, nil, nothing -- might all be acceptable
answers.  Also the questions needed to be selected at random.  So my
solution needed to be not only simple but flexible too.

Anyhow I wrote that code and I have not been troubled by spam since.  If
anyone is interested in this idea I will extract the code from my app and
post it.

Regards,  D