from web2py's standpoint (the web one) it only matters where requests are
from, not the user who's doing those.
If you have a working admin on the local LAN and you can access but not
edit from outside your LAN, than you're doing the ssh tunnel wrong.

PS: did you just tried to do a ctrl+R to refresh all static assets while on
tunnel ? Problems can happen if you load an admin app in your local
computer using 127.0.0.1:8000 and then a remote (ssh tunneled) admin on
127.0.0.1:8000 too.
If web2py's versions are different, your browser can't tell the difference
between one or another admin app, so it may retain in cache the "other"
version of admin's static files.